How To Take Care of Your Gums When Wearing Full Dentures
- Posted on: Mar 15 2023
If you have recently obtained full dentures, you may have a lot of questions about how to keep them clean and extend their longevity. You may also worry about the health of your smile underneath your complete dentures. There are several issues that can arise with poorly fitted dentures, such as irritated gums, but additionally, patients still need to care for the rest of their smile to reduce the risk of complications such as decay on existing teeth or periodontal infections. Dr. Casey Patterson of Simi Valley, CA, can provide you with the information you need to care for your smile and your dentures!
How Do I Take Care of My Gums When Wearing My Full Dentures?
Good oral hygiene is just as important when wearing full dentures as it is with your own teeth. Proper care of your gums helps prevent gum disease and keeps your mouth healthy. Here are a few recommendations to help you maintain good oral health while wearing dentures:
- Brush twice daily with a soft-bristled brush made especially for denture wear, using either liquid or powder denture cleansers. This will keep the surface of your dentures free from bacteria and food particles that cause bad breath.
- Clean any removable parts, such as clasps, brackets, or wires, with a small brush and warm soapy water each time you remove the dentures from your mouth.
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash to help keep your gums and soft tissues free of germs.
- Rinse your dentures with water before putting them back in the mouth.
- Visit Dr. Casey Patterson and his team regularly for check-ups, cleaning, and adjustments to ensure that your dentures fit correctly and do not cause any damage or irritation to the gums.
Schedule a Visit To Learn More About Denture Care and Oral Health
By following these tips, you can take good care of both your dentures and your gums, ensuring a healthy smile for years to come! If you have any questions about maintaining your dentures and the health of your teeth and gums, do not hesitate to contact Dr. Casey Patterson and his team in Simi Valley, CA, to discuss your needs. The office can be reached at 805-584-1194 and is currently accepting new patients.
Posted in: Dentures